California State Water Budget Requirement
The California Green Building Standards Code in Section 604.1 requires affected construction projects to develop a water budget for landscape irrigation that conforms to the California Department of Water Resources Model Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance. Effective August 1, 2009, the following projects will be required to submit with their construction documents a landscape irrigation plan and water budget calculations stamped by a licensed landscape architect:
- New construction and rehabilitated landscapes with a total project landscape area equal to or greater than 2,500 square feet.
- New single-family or multifamily residential construction projects that are homeowner-provided and/or homeowner-hired with a total project landscape area equal to or greater than 5,000 square feet.
Restroom Aerator Ordinance
Effective March 7, 2009, commercial, industrial and restrooms located in common areas of office or apartment buildings must have 1.0 gallon per minute aerators installed on bathroom sink faucets. Metered faucets and faucets that are not compatible with an aerator are excepted. For questions, contact Building Division at 818-238-5220.
Water Conserving Fitting & Fixtures Ordinance
The City's Water Conserving Fittings and Fixtures ordinance was adopted August 1, 2008, requiring the following projects to meet water conserving construction standards:
- All new construction
- All additions over 100 square feet
- Bathroom remodels
- Tenant improvements of commercial, retail or office spaces
- Remodel of 50% or more of a floor or a building
The fixture and fittings requirement are listed in this table:
Fixture Flow Rates
WaterSense, created by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Model Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance, Final Draft 7-15-09