The Summer Trails Program
Youth 14-15 Years of Age
- Program Description: The Summer Trails
Program offers youth a summer job which is divided into two sessions. The first half is dedicated to learning professionalism and life skills through trainings held in the City of Burbank’s, Administrative Services Building. During the second half of the program, students perform physical labor and maintenance, clearing dry brush and beautifying hiking trails in the Verdugo Mountains. Students work in teams to accomplish projects and are supervised by a Youth Employment Coordinator, Team Leader and Junior Team Leader.
- Students who complete the Summer Trails Program receive:
- Cover letter and resume writing workshops
- Interviewing skills
- Effective team working skills
- Money management and budgeting training
- Dress for Success guidance and practice
- OSHA Safety training
- Safety attire and equipment (includes safety boots, glasses, gloves and necessary outerwear)
- CPR training and certification
- College knowledge training sessions
- Summer Trails Program, certificate of completion, signed by the Mayor of Burbank
- Automatic eligibility for membership to the Burbank City Federal Credit Union and will receive training on how to enroll/information on Independent Advantage Program
- 100-200 hours of PAID WORK EXPERIENCE
- Professional relationships with peers and City of Burbank supervisors
- Summer (June-August)
- For Ages 14 - 15 Only
- Days and Hours of Work:
- Monday-Thursday: part-time hours (3-8 hours daily)
- Friday: Top 10-15 students for the week receive the opportunity to work extra hours at the City of Burbank’s, Starlight Bowl.
- Applicant Requirements:
- Applicants must be between 14-15 years of age by the start of the program in June.
- No prior work experience required
- Applicants must commit to the full duration of the Summer Trails Program. Scheduled training and work days are mandatory.
- How to Apply:
- Applications available February-March of every year for the summer session which is in operation from June through August.
- Visit the City of Burbank website: www.burbankca.gov
- Click on the “Employment” link on the top right-hand corner of our website
- Click on “Youth Services Worker – Summer Trails Program” job link
- Click on apply
- Log in or create an account with the City of Burbank
- Hiring Process:
- Interviews for the Summer Trails Program are a competitive process and are held in March of every year.
- Students who meet program requirements and submit a complete application will be notified of interview appointment by phone.
- Students are to prepare for an oral interview as well as a written examination.
For questions, please call the Youth Employment Office: (818) 238-5324