Permits Available

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Applications for the permits listed below are available at the Public Works Counter located at 150 N. Third Street. Forms can also be printed out from the Online Counter link below. There is a 2% administrative fee for all Public Works credit card transactions.

Online Counter

Address Assignment Permit
(818) 238-3952
Address Assignment Permits are issued to add, delete, or change existing addresses (BMC Title 7, Chapter 3, Article 9). Address Assignment Permits are routed through the Community Development Department for Building Division and Planning Division approval and may be routed through the Fire and Police Departments if public safety could be affected by the change.

Cost: $84.00 first address/unit; $28.00 each additional address/unit.

Encroachment Permit
(818) 238-3950
Temporary and long-term Encroachment Permits are issued to allow the use of City-owned right of way (BMC Title 7, Chapter 3, Article 7). Example uses of City owned right of way include sidewalk outside dining, parkway improvement, and placement of fiber optic cables in City right of way. In addition to completing the permit application form, applicants must meet the City’s insurance requirements for Public Works permits.

Cost: Varies according to type of encroachment. Some encroachments require an excavation permit (contact Public Works Department at 818-238-3951 for more information). Fees are specified in the Burbank Fee Resolution as amended periodically by the City Council.

Excavation Permit
(818) 238-3950
Excavation Permits are issued for construction projects requiring excavation, trenching or any type of digging in the City right of way (BMC Title 7, Chapter 1, Article 206(b)). Construction projects on private property must obtain a Building Permit from the Community Development Department Building Division.

Excavation Permits may require routing to additional departments for approval depending on the project size and scope. Generally, construction projects with plans and construction projects of any size that do not conform to construction standards require routing. Small improvements without plans that conform to building standards do not require routing.

In addition to completing the permit application form, applicants must meet the City’s insurance requirements for Public Works permits.

Cost: $55.00 for a single family dwelling permit (Plus Deposit). $60/hour for inspection. Minimum $500 refundable deposit is required to cover the cost of inspection and other incidental expenses and to guarantee restoration of the street to as good and perfect condition as it was before the work began (BMC Title 7, Chapter 1, Article 206(b)). The deposit increases in proportion to the construction project size. Plan check fee $219.00 per sheet.

Open House Sign Permits
(818) 238-3950
Open House Sign permits are issued for temporary real estate open house signs. The placement of these signs in Public Rights-of-Way require permits and are regulated by BMC Title 5, Chapter 3, Article 4,, Section 402.2.

To obtain the permit, applicants must meet the City’s insurance requirements for Public Works permits.

Cost: $12.75 per sign, four signs allowed per single family residence, eight per multi-unit. Flags and balloons are not allowed.The permit includes a pair of decals to be displayed on each side of the signs. Permits are issued on an annual basis with a term from July 1 to June 30.

Industrial Waste Permit
(818) 972-1115
Industrial Waste Permits are issued to sewer customers discharging industrial waste as part of the City’s wastewater pretreatment program. These customers are classified according to amount of waste discharged, strength of flow, and type of businesses (BMC Title 8, Chapter 1, Article 5).

Cost: $51.50 application fee; costs for annual inspections, follow-up/enforcement inspections and delinquency charges vary according to class. Fees are specified in the Burbank Fee Resolution as periodically amended by the City Council. 

Newsrack Permit
(818) 238-3951
Newsrack Permits allow newspapers, and other permited publications, to locate newsracks within the City of Burbank (BMC Title 5, Chapter 3, Article 10). These permits help the City regulate maintenance and location standards.

Cost: $102.00 for initial registration; $51.00 for annual registration renewal.

Parking Permits
(818) 238-3915
The Public Works Traffic Division issues two types of parking permits: residential parking permits  and monthly permits for public parking lots (BMC Title 6, Chapter 1, Article 10).

Residential Parking Permit Fee Cost: $30.00 Each permit per three year period*
*Permit eligible to be pro-rate by year (Residential Parking Permits FAQs)  

Monthly Parking Permit Fee Cost: $52.00 Per Month

Large Non-Commercial Vehicle (LNCV) Permit 
(818) 238-3837 
A permit is required to park a Large Non-Commercial Vehicle on City streets.  The permit must be displayed from the driver-side window when the vehicle is parked.  1-3 day permits are issued by Public Works; driver license and vehicle license plate information is required.  Permits are valid for 24 hours and may be issued for up to 3 days as a consecutive permit block.  To purchase an LNVC permit click here.

Sewer Connection Permit
(818) 238-3950
Sewer Connection Permits are issued for construction of sewer connections from private property to sewer main lines (BMC Title 8, Chapter 1, Article 3). Please see the Water Reclamation and Sewer Section website for additional information.

Cost: $66.95 application fee for sewer tap (saddle) connection plus any applicable excavation permit costs.  For repair of lateral or regular "Y" connection in the public right-of-way or within a public utility easement, see excavation permit costs.

Street Use Permit
(818) 238-3950
Street Use Permits are issued to allow the complete or partial closure of sidewalks or streets for specific, short-term purposes (BMC Title 6, Chapter 1, Articles 17 and 23). Street uses include temporary placement of rolloff bins, placement of cranes, special events, house moving, roofing, painting, and sign installation. Rolloff bin permits are valid for 14 days; all other street use permits are valid up to 5 days, Monday through Friday, except in special circumstances evaluated on a case by case basis. Depending on the street use requested, the permit may require traffic control plans. Permits requiring traffic control plans are generally routed through the Traffic Division for approval.

To obtain the permit, applicants must meet the City’s insurance requirements for Public Works permits.

Cost: $55.00 for a single family dwelling permit. $60/hour for inspection. A refundable deposit may be required for some street use permits. Weekend street use may be permitted upon approval at the inspection rate of $90.00/hour (min. 4 hours) for Saturdays and $120.00/hour (min. 4 hours) on Sundays.

Transportation/Overload Permit
(818) 238-3950
Transportation Permits are issued for the transportation of oversized loads in the City (BMC Title 6, Chapter 1, Article 25).

Cost: $22.00 for one trip/day, $1 faxing fee; $2.30 for each additional day. $107.75 for annual permit. $16.00 for one escorted trip/day; $322.75 for escorted trip inspection as needed.

Water Discharge Permit
(818) 238-3950
Water Discharge Permits are issued to residents/businesses who wish to drain their swimming pool and discharge the water into the street gutter or alley (BMC Title 8, Chapter 1, Article 6). Water Discharge Permits are routed through Public Works Department Engineering, Traffic and Field Services Divisions for approval. The permit allows the City to regulate discharge into the storm drain system and ensure that the City complies with federal storm drain laws.  Cost: $37.00 for a single family dwelling; $46.00 for multi-family/commercial.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer
View Full Site