Please refer to our Work Exempt from Permits handout for a visual reference of common projects that do not require a permit.
Warning: Exemptions from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.
Permits shall not be required for the following:
- One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet. The building shall not contain any heating, plumbing, or electrical installations or be used for the storage of any hazardous materials.
- Masonry or concrete walls not over 6 feet high or 6 feet high with a vinyl, wood, or metal addition of no more than 12 inches, and other fences (vinyl, wood, metal) not over 7 feet tall. See Burbank Municipal Code Title 10 for maximum fence heights permitted by the zoning code.
- Oil derricks.
- Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
- Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity is not greater than 5,000 gallons and the height to diameter ratio is not greater than 2:1.
- Sidewalks or driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade, and not over any basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route.
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, counter tops, and similar finish work.
- Temporary motion picture, television, and theater stage sets and scenery.
- Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a single-family residence or duplex that are less than 24 inches deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons, and are installed entirely above ground.
- Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including service systems.
- Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one- and two-family dwellings.
- Window awnings attached to single-family dwelling and accessory buildings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
- Minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.
- Radio and television transmittng stations, but not the equipment and wiring for the power supply or the installation of towers and antennas.
- Temporary testing systems.
- Portable heating appliance.
- Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.
- Portable heating appliance.
- Portable ventilation equipment.
- Portable cooling unit.
- Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment.
- Replacement of any part that does not alter its approval or make it unsafe.
- Portable evaporative cooler.
- Self-contained refrigeration system containing 10 pounds of less of refrigerant and actuated by motors of 1 horsepower or less.
- The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe, provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drain pipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with the new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained an d inspection made as provided in this code.
- The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.