In response to the City’s direction to close all Burbank facilities to the public, modified services provided by the Planning Division will continue. The following provides an overview of how customers can submit Accessory Dwelling Units “ADUs” to the City electronically for review and processing. These electronic submittal requirements only apply to ADUs. For more information, customers can contact the Planning Division via email at email@example.com or click this link for Frequently Asked Questions.
All ADUs shall be submitted as noted below, unless otherwise provided by the Planning Division.
SUBMITTING ADUs ELECTRONICALLY
Customers can submit ADUs electronically by taking the following steps:
STEP ONE - OBTAINING A NEW ADDRESS FOR THE PROPOSED ADU
Before ADUs can be submitted to the City for review, customers shall obtain a new address for the proposed ADU. Customers can obtain a new address as follows:
- Complete a Public Works Department “Request for Address Assignment” Application. Customers can access electronic copies of the application by clicking here.
- Once the “Request for Address Assignment” Application is completed customers shall email the completed application to the Public Works Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of the email shall read: “ADU Request for Address Assignment”. In the body of the email customers shall provide a project description, including ADU type and proposed area.
- Within 2 business days the Public Works Department will contact customers and assign an available address for the ADU.The Address Assignment permit fee will be collected after the Planning Division has approved the project.
STEP TWO - SUBMITTING A BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY
The Planning and Building Divisions will review the proposed ADU concurrently through the Building Permit Application process. After obtaining a new address, customers shall submit a Building Permit Application electronically per the Building & Safety Division’s Building Permit–Electronic Application Submittal Requirements identified below.
During the submittal of the Building Permit Application the Planning Division will collect the Planning Division ADU review and processing fee ($2,197.80), and confirm that the Public Works Department has assigned an address to the proposed ADU.
Building Permit–Electronic Applications
Building Permit Applications shall be submitted electronically for City review and processing by taking the following steps:
Step-One: Planning Division Zoning Pre-Clearance Review
Before Building Permit Applications can be submitted to the Building Division for review and processing, customers shall first request and receive a Planning Division Zoning Pre-Clearance, as follows:
- Send an email to the Planning Division at email@example.com. The subject of the email shall read: “Zoning Pre-Clearance Request at: 123 South First Street”. The body of the email shall include a project description along with the customer’s name, phone number and email address (if different from the one used to send the email). See example screenshot below:
- After sending the email, customers shall upload a copy of the proposed plans – and other applicable submittal requirements identified in the ADU Pre-Clearance Checklist – for the Planning Division to review. These items shall be uploaded by clicking here. They shall be uploaded as follows:
o The items shall be uploaded within a zip-folder.
o The zip-folder shall be renamed to include the project’s address and date (for example: 111 South First St_3-18-2019).
o If there are multiple files, all files within the zip-folder shall be named based on the document type (for example: Proposed_Plans).
- Within 4 to 7 business days of receiving the uploaded files, the Planning Division will contact customers regarding the request for a zoning pre-clearance. If the Planning Division determines that the plans can be submitted to the Building Division for review and processing, an invoice with the Planning Division ADU review and processing fee will be sent to the applicant. Once the fee is received, a zoning pre-clearance will be provided to the customer via email. If the Planning Division determines that a Zoning Pre-Clearance cannot be granted (examples might include submittal of incomplete plans, unclear project description, a scope of work that triggers a Planning entitlement, or unpaid Planning Division processing fees), a Planner will contact the customer to provide an explanation and direction on what is needed in order to grant Zoning Pre-Clearance.
Step-Two: Electronic Submittal of Building Permit Application with the Building and Safety Division
After a Zoning Pre-Clearance is attained, customers can submit Building Permit Applications to the Building and Safety Division for review and processing. Customers shall submit Building Permit Applications electronically to the Building and Safety Division through ProjectDox – the City’s electronic plan check system – by taking the following steps:
- Customers shall contact the Building and Safety Division at firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of the email shall read: “Electronic Building Permit Application at: 123 South First Street”. In the body of the email customers shall provide: a copy of the zoning pre-clearance, and contact information that includes the customer’s: name, phone number and email address.
- Within 3 to 7 business days, the Building Division will contact customers with more information.
All ADUs shall be submitted as noted above, unless otherwise provided by the Planning Division. For more information, customers can contact the Planning Division via email at email@example.com.