In response to the City’s direction to close all Burbank facilities to the public, modified services provided by the Building and Safety Division will continue. The following provides an overview of how customers can submit Building Permit Applications to the Building and Safety Division electronically for review and processing. These electronic submittal requirements apply to all Building Permit Applications. For more information, customers can contact the Building and Safety Division via email at email@example.com or via phone at 818-238-5220.
All Building Permit Applications shall be submitted as noted below, unless otherwise provided by the Building and Safety Division.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION SUBMITTAL
Tier 1 – Building Permit Applications
The following types of Building Permit Applications are considered Tier 1 projects, and have a streamlined review process. Customers with a project that only includes the items identified below, shall complete a Building Permit Application and contact the Building Division via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 818-238-5220:
- Kitchen and Bathroom Remodels with no interior wall demolition
- Existing Window Replacements that do not increase the size of the existing windows, and do not create any new window openings
- Drywall replacement
- Replacement of exterior finishes, when the same materials are being used
- Electrical Service upgrade – a Burbank Water and Power pre-review is required
- Rewire or re-piping of an existing electrical or plumbing system
- HVAC unit replacement when the unit is on the roof or at the rear of the property
- HVAC replacement with new duct or New HVAC system
- Water heater replacement.
- Seismic Brace and Bolt
- Fireplace earthquake retrofit
- Structural retrofits/repairs
Customers can access electronic copies of the applicable Building Permit Applications at the Building and Safety Applications and Forms Webpage.
Tier 2 – Building Permit Applications
All other Building Permit Applications that are not identified in the Tier 1 project list are considered Tier 2 projects. Tier 2 projects shall be submitted electronically for City review and processing. Customers can submit Building Permit Applications electronically by taking the following steps:
- Step-One: Planning Division Zoning Pre-Clearance Review
Before Tier 2 Building Permit Applications can be submitted to the Building Division for review and processing, customers shall first request and receive a Planning Division Zoning Pre-Clearance, as follows:
- Send an email to the Planning Division at email@example.com. The subject of the email shall read: “Zoning Pre-Clearance Request at: 123 South First Street”. The body of the email shall include a project description along with the customer’s name, phone number and email address (if different from the one used to send the email). See example screenshot below:
- After sending the email, customers shall upload a copy of the proposed plans for the Planning Division to review. The plans shall be uploaded by clicking here. They shall be uploaded as follows:
- The plans shall be uploaded within a zip-folder.
- The zip-folder shall be renamed to include the project’s address and date (for example: 111 South First St_3-18-2019).
- If there are multiple files, all files within the zip-folder shall be named based on the document type (for example: Site_Plan).
- Within 4 to 7 business days, the Planning Division will contact customers regarding the request for a zoning pre-clearance. If the Planning Division determines that the plans can be submitted to the Building Division for review and processing, a zoning pre-clearance will be provided to the customer via email. If the Planning Division determines that a Zoning Pre-Clearance cannot be granted (examples might include submittal of incomplete plans, unclear project description, a scope of work that triggers a Planning entitlement, or unpaid Planning Division processing fees), a Planner will contact the customer to provide an explanation and direction on what is needed in order to grant Zoning Pre-Clearance.
- Step-Two: Electronic Submittal of Building Permit Application with the Building and Safety Division
After a Zoning Pre-Clearance is attained, customers can submit Tier 2 Building Permit Applications to the Building and Safety Division for review and processing. Customers shall submit Building Permit Applications electronically to the Building and Safety Division through ProjectDox – the City’s electronic plan check system – by taking the following steps:
- Customers shall contact the Building and Safety Division at firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of the email shall read: “Electronic Building Permit Application at: 123 South First Street”. In the body of the email customers shall provide:
- Project address
- A copy of the zoning pre-clearance
- Contact information that includes the customer’s: name, phone number and email address
- Project description, please include area (square feet) of project scope, type of construction and occupancy group
- Project valuation
- Within 3 to 7 business days, the Building Division will contact customers with more information.
All Building Permit Applications shall be submitted as noted above – unless otherwise provided by the Building and Safety Division. For more information, customers can contact the Building Division via email at email@example.com or via phone at 818-238-5220.