VIRTUAL RECREATION RESOURCES
The City of Burbank continues to be prepared but not panicked in regards to taking a proactive approach towards slowing the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). In an abundance of caution, and based on national, state, and county health guidelines, all City of Burbank programs and events will be cancelled effective immediately through April 19, 2020. In addition, Parks & Recreation indoor recreational facilities and hiking trails will be closed to the public through April 19, 2020. Parks and park restrooms are open for public use, however note that amenities such as playgrounds, picnic areas and sports facilities (including but not limited to ballfields, picnic areas, pickleball courts, tennis courts) are closed.
To that end, the Parks and Recreation Department encourages community members to continue to stay active, connected and enriched during this time. Below is a list of virtual recreation resources.
*Please note we do not endorse, collect payment on behalf of, or receive funds to advertise any of the third party sites or services listed or referenced on this page. This page will be continuously updated with new resources.
Take care of your body. Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate. Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, and get plenty of sleep. Make time to unwind. Try to do some activities you enjoy.
- Train at home with Fitness Tutorials
- Y! At Home Workouts (Burbank YMCA)
- Fitness Blender
- Nike Training Club
- NCHPAD - Health at Home
- AARP Fitness Activities for Older Adults
- National Institute on Aging Go4Life
- Article: How to Exercise While Staying at Home (BBC News)
- Article: Global Recommendations on Physical Activity for Health for Ages 65+ (World Health Organization)
- Kids Dance, Sports, Yoga, and More
- Visit a local park* (see infographic on how to stay safe)
- Take a walk, bike or run around your neighborhood - make it fun and engaging!
- Do some spring planting or work on your yard
- Go for a drive
***Remember to avoid crowds and maintain a safe social distance of 6' away from others.***
*Due to County and State orders, park playgrounds are closed. Parks and park restrooms remain open for public use. Recreational facilities and other 'high touch' and 'high contact' areas are closed (ballfields, picnic areas, outdoor sports courts, hiking trails, etc.).
- Project Hope - Burbank Residents 55 and older, who are in need of assistance are encouraged to contact Project Hope, a program that pairs seniors with volunteers to help with things like running errands, grocery shopping and companionship. If you would like to volunteer or need assistance, please call 818-238-5370 or email us at BVP@burbankca.gov.
- Connect with Others - Catch up with a friend or relative you may have not spoken to. Write a letter. Connect via videochat. Hold a virtual playdate online. Talk with people you trust about your concerns and how you are feeling.
- Exercise Mindfulness - Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate. It’s important you take the time to practice self-care, even for just a few minutes each day. There are many resources online.
- Stay Nourished
- The Senior Nutrition Program offers meals for older adults and homebound individuals who qualify. For more information, please call 818-238-5366.
- Burbank Unified School District's (BUSD) Meal Program is available for students on free and reduced lunch. For more information, contact the BUSD Food Service Office at 818-729-4539.
- Try a new recipe! There are plenty of online tutorials for you to whip up something new.
- Take Breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including social media.
EXPLORE, ENRICH, AND ENGAGE
- Check out the Burbank Public Library online services - ebooks, stream TV, movies, music and more.
- Try Some Fun Activities
- Get Creative
- Take a Virtual Tour
- Explore using Google Earth, EarthCam or webcamtaxi
- Go on a Virtual Field Trip
- Virtual Tour: America's Best National Parks
- Virtual Tour: Famous Museums with Google Arts and Culture
- Live Feed: San Diego Zoo
- Live Feed: Kansas City Zoo
- Live Feed: Memphis Zoo
- Digital Show: New York Metropolitan Opera free every night at 7:30 PM
- At-Home Learning
Have a great resource to share? Please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org