Burbank News


City of Burbank Taking Steps to Prevent the Spread of Coronavirus Declares a State of Emergency

City of Burbank Taking Steps to Prevent the Spread of Coronavirus

 (Declares a State of Emergency)

BURBANK, CA (March 12, 2020) –

As Coronavirus cases continue to increase within the State and nationwide, there are many precautions being taken by agencies and businesses to slow down the spread of the virus.  The City of Burbank wants to be prepared but not panicked. And as such, the City is also doing its part by declaring a State of Local Emergency and requesting that the City Council ratify the declaration at next Tuesday’s City Council meeting on March 17, 2020.  This will allow the City to take extra precautions.

As of today, the City will follow the State’s directive and will be suspending large, City events that occur on or before March 31, 2020, and have more than 250 people in attendance.  This includes the Egg-Sight-Ment in the Wild (March 29).  Some specific events that require extensive planning and cannot be rescheduled including the Youth Art Expo Opening Receptions (April 2 and 3) and Spring Egg-Stravaganza (April 11) have also been cancelled. Additionally, staff will be evaluating smaller events that have high-risk populations.  For a complete list of events and their status, please visit the City’s website. 

The Parks and Recreation Department is being cautious and will be closing the Tuttle Senior Center beginning Monday, March 16. The Joslyn Adult Center will remain open but all programs, events and classes will be suspended. Joslyn Center staff is available via phone at 818-238-5353 between 8:00 am – 5:00 pm to answer any questions regarding specific programming and activities.  

Starting Friday, March 13, all City sports and aquatics programs will be suspended until the end of the month. This includes any drop-in sports.

As of March 12, 2020, spring camps and other programs will continue as scheduled, however, please keep in mind that this may change at any time.

City staff will continue to monitor the situation and make decisions on either postponement and or cancellations as necessary. These will also be posted on

Published on: March 12, 2020
02:17 PM