Northbound I-5 Reduced to Two Lanes and Multiple Ramps Closed on April 30 - May 3 and May 7-10 in Burbank, Glendale, and Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES — The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) plans to temporarily
reduce Northbound Interstate 5 to two lanes and close several freeway ramps in Los Angeles,
Glendale and Burbank between 10 p.m. Friday, April 30, and 6 a.m. Monday, May 3.
The same closures will be repeated one week later, from 10 p.m. Friday, May 7 to 6 a.m.
Monday, May 10. The closures will be only in the northbound direction on I-5 and the westbound
direction on State Route134 (the Ventura Freeway).
These 55-hour weekend closures are due to I-5 pavement construction in Burbank. The
schedule is weather-permitting and subject to change. The planned closures are as follows:
• Northbound I-5 will be narrowed to two lanes between Alameda Avenue and Burbank
Boulevard in Burbank.
• The following ramps and connectors, listed from north to south, will be closed and
detours will be posted:
- I-5 Burbank Boulevard off-ramp
- I-5 Orange Grove Avenue on-ramp
- I-5 Westbound Alameda Avenue on-ramp
- I-5 Eastbound Alameda Avenue on-ramp
- I-5 Westbound Western Avenue on-ramp
- I-5 Eastbound Western Avenue on-ramp
- I-5 Zoo Drive off-ramp
- Westbound SR-134 (Ventura Freeway) connector to Northbound I-5
- Westbound SR-134 Fairmont Avenue on-ramp
- Westbound SR-134 San Fernando Road on-ramp
- Colorado Street Freeway Extension Edenhurst Avenue on-ramp
Caltrans will narrow Northbound I-5 for these two weekend operations to enhance safety for
travelers and workers while crews construct concrete pavement on I-5 near Burbank Boulevard
for the I-5 HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle, or carpool lanes) widening project. The project
includes a new I-5 Burbank Boulevard bridge and interchange.
Before and during these two weekend operations, signs will be posted to inform motorists about
the scheduled closures. Drivers on Westbound SR-134 will be advised to continue west and
take Northbound State Route 170 (the Hollywood Freeway) to Northbound I-5, bypassing the
construction zone. Detours will be posted at closed ramps.
Motorists in the Burbank area who plan to go northbound on I-5 should enter the freeway at the
new I-5 Empire Avenue interchange, which is north of the construction zone.
The I-5 lane closures are scheduled to start at 10 p.m. on both Fridays, and ramp and connector
closures may start earlier. Times, dates and locations of the closures are subject to change due
to weather or operational reasons.
Updates and additional information will be posted on the project’s website My5LA.com and on
Twitter at @My5LA or https://twitter.com/my5LA
# # #