hero image


City Attorney's Office: Frequently Asked Questions

City Attorney's Office FAQ

Does the City Attorney's Office provide citizens with legal advice? 

No. The City Attorney is legally prohibited from representing individuals in private legal matters. Attorneys in the office only represent City officials, departments, agencies, and employees in the course of their official acts or business. If you need legal advice, you will have to seek a private attorney at your own cost. For assistance in obtaining private counsel, you may contact:  

San Fernando Valley Bar Association
(818) 227-0490

Does the City Attorney's Office offer internships? 

Yes, please visit our Internships information page for further information.

What is the difference between the City Attorney's Office and the District Attorney's Office? 

The District Attorney’s Office is a department of the County of Los Angeles. It prosecutes felony crimes that occur in Los Angeles County.
In Burbank, the City Attorney’s Office prosecutes state and local misdemeanor crimes that occur within Burbank, including violations of the Burbank Municipal Code.

How do I file a claim? 

Claim for Damages forms may be emailed to the City Clerk's Office.  Please visit the City Clerk's Office for further information. 

Does the City Attorney's Office have any open positions? 

All open positions are posted on the City of Burbank’s website. Please visit the website for openings: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/burbankca. The City Attorney's Office nor the City of Burbank retain resumes in case a position will become open. Applications are only accepted when positions are open.