STEP Youth Employment - Management Services
STEP Youth Employment
YOUTH EMPLOYMENT PROGRAMS - STEP
The Summer Trails Enhancement Program (STEP) offers youth a summer job which is divided into two parts.
The first half is dedicated to learning professionalism and life skills through trainings held in a classroom setting. During the second half of the program, students spend their days in the Verdugo Hills clearing dry brush and beautifying hiking trails.
Students work in teams to accomplish projects and are supervised by a Youth Employment Coordinator, Team Leader, and Junior Team Leader.
Students who complete STEP receive:
100-200 hours of PAID WORK EXPERIENCE
Automatic eligibility for membership to GAIN Federal Credit Union and will receive training on how to enroll/information on Independent Advantage Program
College knowledge training sessions
Cover letter and resume writing workshops
CPR training and certification
Dress for Success guidance and practice
Effective team working skills
Money management and budgeting training
OSHA Safety training
Professional relationships with peers and City of Burbank supervisors
Safety attire and equipment (includes safety boots, glasses, gloves and necessary outerwear)
Summer Trails Program, certificate of completion, signed by the Mayor of Burbank
- Sessions run during the summer (June through August)
- Monday - Thursday: part-time hours (3-8 hours daily)
- Friday: The top 10-15 students for the week receive the opportunity to work extra hours at the City of Burbank Starlight Bowl.
- Applicants must be between 14-15 years of age by the start of the program in June.
- No prior work experience required
- Applicants must commit to the full duration of STEP. Scheduled training and work days are mandatory.
How to Apply
- Applications available February through March of every year for the summer session from June through August.
- Visit the City of Burbank website: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/burbankca
- Click on the “Employment” link on the top right-hand corner of our website
- Click on “Youth Services Worker – Summer Trails Enhancement Program” job link
- Click on Apply
- Log in or create an account with the City of Burbank
- Interviews for STEP are a competitive process and are held in March of every year.
- Students who meet program requirements and submit a complete application will be notified of interview appointment by phone.
- Students are to prepare for an oral interview as well as a written examination.
For questions, please call the Youth Employment Office at (818) 238-5324